Friday, January 4, 2013

Finished Being Fat by Betsy Schow

She called me out.  I said I would read her book, was excited even, then totally forgot about it until yesterday when she reminded me.  So I started reading. But I told myself, " I don't have time to read a whole book!"

I was wrong.

I can tell you honestly that I read every single page in two days during my "no time".

I simply couldn't help it.  I couldn't stop reading.  I couldn't not be drawn in heart and soul.  She made me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

She made me want to do something I've been told since I was seventeen that I could never do.  Run.  I know, it seems crazy, but the doctors have told me more than half of my life that I couldn't run.

And now after reading this book, I want to.  I am jealous of my husband who puts on his running shoes in the morning while I'm stuck on my efx.  I mean, I love my efx, but what if I could run with him?

Maybe it's not impossible.  Maybe impossible is a word we use to excuse ourselves from ever trying.  What if anything is possible?

That's what this book finally said to me.  Maybe all those things I want I can have if I don't quit, or if I at least try.  It's more than running, or in Betsy's case, losing amazing amounts of pounds.

It's about finishing.  Finishing is life's biggest secrets.  Once you figure out how to, there's nothing you can't do.  I mean, if it's something you want bad enough and you decide you will do it.

Thanks, Betsy, for making me finish your book.  Thanks for sharing such a profound story.

It's January.  Set goals, not resolutions.  Make it measurable, have a specific timeline goal, have a meaning for it that means something to you and write it down.  Then finish.  You owe it to yourself.

Now go read this incredible book.  It will grab you, pull you in, and change you for the better.

No comments: