Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The 13th Reality by James Dashner

This is the first book in the series....


The world wide web is an amazing thing. If there is one way to make the world easier to find yourself in, it's here. I want to introduce you to someone I admire, someone who has inspired me, someone who makes me believe I can be an author no matter the odds. James Dashner has written several books, his latest series is The 13th Reality. If you're at my site, it means you already are a fantasy fan. If you haven't already read the first 13th Reality book, that is something you shouldn't miss. The second book in the series is coming out next week. Cool! I am so excited.
If you're already a Dashner fan, then good on ya. If you don't know who he is, check out his blog http://jamesdashner.blogspot.com/
This guy is great. He has a quirky sense of humor, a sharp eye for wit, and his books lead you though interesting paths you never knew existed... well, maybe that's because it's a fantasy. I love fantasy.
I was watching a really depressing love story with a tragic ending (I'm not going to tell you which one it was in case someone out there liked it) on Valentine's day, of all days. It made me realize a couple things. First, all of my most favorite movies and books (with a few exceptions, I know...) involve fantasy. And America seems to agree with me. Look at the top selling young adult books today. We like to live bigger and better than the limitations we are given here allow us to do. Somewhere inside of all of us, we want to fly, or run fast, or change things, or do something great. There is just more to us all than the mundane world we live in. Our minds thirst for fantasy because we can live somewhere else for just a moment and imagine something better.
James Dashner has a magic of his own. With his words he weaves stories that transport you to a different dimension. And for me, personally, he has inspired me with hope. Thanks to him, I have started to believe that I can do the impossible- sell a book in the real world. I read a quote that said you were more likely to be struck by lightening than to publish a book (vanity presses excluded). Now I'm worried that my bad luck side is going to catch up with me and I'll be struck with lightening.
But seriously, if you want to support someone who not only writes well, but is a really good person all the way around, buy his books. He's got mega book signings in Utah, be sure to check out his blog for more information. And he's entertaining. I read his blog just for a lift.
Since I still have to wait for May for my first book to hit the shelves, I can't tell you to buy it yet. So take some of that money you stashed away in case of a really good, must-have book, and find James Dashner's The 13th Reality. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: