Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Testing... Testing...

I'm back. I nearly fell off the internet planet for a couple weeks, but I've landed smack dab on earth again and my list of things to do has become significant.

To spare you a travel-log, it sufficeth to say that New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania were in my recent past and not only did I learn valuable driving tips, how not to land a penny on Ben Franklin's grave and other life skills, I found a side of Pennsylvania that I've only hoped existed.

They really do have enormous butterflies constantly visiting the flowers just outside the window... just like my story Alvor. Who knew? It was amazing.

And now that I'm back in Idaho, I'm looking forward to the adventure of school, studying for my Irish exams, and most delectably, WRITING. Oh how I miss it. I've put myself on a writing diet so I could focus on studying.

Where I thought the fire would extinguish and I would finally realize that deep down inside I've only pretended to be an author- the opposite has happened. I've seen more clearly what my next book needs. I see my career from a different perspective. I know I'll write another story and I've got a better idea of what needs to happen next.

So what am I saying? I hate to admit it, but taking a break from the pressure of succeeding has done me a lot of good. Instead of being stressed daily about whether my writing is good enough to see my dreams come true, I've been able to process what I need to do and how I'm going to do it.

And my writing advice to you? Well, I don't have any. This is the first REAL break I've taken from writing for four years. And my days are literally numbered. I know exactly when I'm going to get my manuscript back out and start again. Had it not been for something as huge as studying for my TCRG I would have never done it. But I'm glad I did.

Are you stressed to the point that it's taking over you life? Your every other thought? Maybe it's time for a break. Maybe. Just a short one. you never know where it will lead.

No comments: