Thursday, September 1, 2011

Let them eat cake


"Failure is the reward for those who try." Me- last night after baking a cake for my dad the DAY AFTER his birthday.

And here's my kids and my sister's kids right before we eat said cake WITHOUT my dad- because he's going to be gone too late for a school night.

Yeap. My special brand of brilliance.

Don't worry, we gave him the half-eaten cake later, even though I wasn't there to see his confused expression.

Just for the record, I was going off my grandma's calendar (in Pennsylvania). I spent the a week looking at his birthday written on the wrong day on her calendar- not that I would have suspected it. She is his mother. She would know when his birthday is... right? I guess we all make mistakes.

But do I really believe in the motto that failure is the reward for those who try? Absolutely. Anyone who tells you different probably doesn't live in the real world. I can't think of a single successful person in history who didn't experience failure.

The important thing is that failure is not the ONLY reward for trying. Eventually you might even reach your dreams.

So was it worth making the cake a day late, even though I never got to see my dad? Yes.

I appreciated the comment someone left on my last post.

"I figure if I keep writing (umm, and submitting), eventually the pieces will fall together. Either that, or I'm going to be ninety-something and still sending out queries." MKHutchins

I feel the same way. Truly. Sadly, maybe, but exactly to be sure.

Not only in life, but in writing. Failure is inevitable. Once you get over that fact, there really is nothing holding you back. If the worst thing that can happen is you fail, and you know that failure is part of the process, then at the very least, or at the very base of every goal, we have nothing truly to lose- and everything to gain.





No comments: