Friday, February 26, 2010

The Beauty of Human Spirit

Last night the final skate sealed the medals for 2010. Of all the years I've watched the Olympics, none of the lady's figure skating has been the kind of experience this year has.

And it's all because of the personal triumphs, not just the sport.

On Tuesday, all I could do is sit silently while tears dripped down my cheeks as Joannie Rochette skated her short program. I've never cried watching someone skate before, but then, I've never seen the sheer courage and depth of emotion in a skate as I did last Tuesday. For those of you who aren't in the loop, her mother passed away just days before her first event.

How did she do it? The whole time I was watching her I could imagine her mom there on the ice lifting her up. For once, she didn't have to sit on the stands to watch her daughter skate.

But the world spirit didn't stop there. Kim Yuna was incredible and with the weight of her country resting on her shoulders, she went out there and made it look easy landing a gold medal for more than herself, but her country.

Let's not forget the silver medalist Mao Asada. She has the most elegant lines. When it came to her skating, I fell in love with her lines- the flexibility and the perfect ... there just isn't another word for it- lines.

And even though she didn't take the podium, Mirai Nagasu turned in a breathtaking performance and surprised everyone with her incredible performance. I couldn't stop smiling while I watched her skate. She's only sixteen, so I know I'm going to see her rise to the top in four years.

Maybe it's all the reality, talent and drive that draws me to the Olympics. The human spirit. It's tangible, even on television.

And, to twist things in a new direction, I think it's the human spirit that makes any story worth reading. It's something I've thought a lot about as I've been writing. What is it that make us want to read a story?

I know I turn almost everything into a writing post at the end of the day, but what can I say? It's part of who I am.

Oh, and thanks world, you made me laugh and cry and reminded that everyday can be that beautiful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd seen that. I'll have to see if I can't find a way to.