Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It's Something Unpredictable


But in the end it's right.

That verse feels like it was written for me this week.

In life and in writing.....

In my little world of writing, I've been hitting forks in the road with my story. More than I've ever hit before. This new book is a journey that started with an idea and has grown and twisted in ways that I didn't see coming. In fact, sometimes it turns so quickly that I honestly don't know what is supposed to happen next.

It's like solving a mystery. What is supposed to happen next? Yesterday I thought I had it all figured out, but then another path came into view and the more I think about it, the more this new and different direction fits the goal of my story better. In fact, it brings more depth and meaning to it, not to mention that it requires the different personalities of the characters for it to work.

And in the end it's right. It turns out my story didn't change direction, it just took a different path to get there- a better one.

I will say this about writing. Each time is different. Sometimes the whole picture might be in your head and other times, the future is foggy. But both ways work.

In many ways, I'm glad I didn't know too many details. It made it so much more unpredictable. And yet, for all the unpredictability, the beginning supports the end. It's kind of amazing.

I read another author's blog and she put her writing formula kind of like this.... prayer, time, persistence, repeat. She didn't say it like that, but I would. For me, it takes all of those things.

And in life, yeah, the same formula. If I thought my book was unpredictable, it's nothing compared to life.

So, here's one of my favorite songs. You can sing it in your head with me today.....


Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day

Another turning point A fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist
Directs you where to go
So make the best of this test
And don't ask why
It's not a question
But a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable
But in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life

So take the photographs
And still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf of good health and good time
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth
It was worth all the while

It's something unpredictable
But in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life
I hope you had the time of your life

8 comments:

Artemis Grey said...

I love that song! I totally agree with you on the matter. The WIPs I'm working on are like wild ponies. They're in harness, but I never know exactly which direction they're going to go...

The YA I'm peddling is the same. Getting passes so far... but passes where the agents are complimenting my writing... so that's good... even though a pass is 'bad'...

I'm sure it'll come out right though... just like that little poem from Black Beauty:

Do your best and leave the rest. It will all come right, some day or night.

Anonymous said...

That is a GREAT song. I really love it.

I'm so excited for you for this new project. It sounds like such...well, unpredictable fun and you seem so happy while writing it.

Laura said...

A. Grey- If you're still working on new things- something is going to come up for you. And having compliments from agents is a great thing. Sometimes they're just looking for a certain kind of story. Good luck! Keep me posted.

L.T- I'll see you in no time! Thanks for your encouragement!

Synergy Girl said...

Life is unpredictable...that is what makes it worth living I guess!!

I can't even imagine writing a book...I try sometimes...imagining it that is...and I think it takes special talent...I am glad you were given that talent...!

Debbie Barr said...

Hi Laura! I met you today at LTUE and just wanted to drop by your blog and say hi. I'm excited to start reading your book!

-Debbie
debbiebarr.blogspot.com

Mary E Campbell said...

So great to meet you this weekend. I really liked what you had to say on the Edgy/not edgy panel. My book has taken so many different forks - I love it though. I'm always amazed at what pops out of my brain.

Laura said...

Debbie & Mary- The LTUE was so fun. It was nice meeting you gals and so many other people. I'm definitely going back next year.

kanishk said...

I'm sure it'll come out right though... just like that little poem from Black Beauty:

Work from home India