Monday, June 22, 2009

Still laughing after all these years.

My sister Tonia in the middle with my grandma and grandpa.

A sense of humor can go a long way. Yesterday I talked to my grandpa on the phone. He lives in Pennsylvania. I wish I could remember exactly how old he is. He told me that he hasn't had time to read my book yet because there are so many things to do outside. Last week he picked a bunch of quarts of strawberries.
"You know, Laura, if I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." My grandpa has had a lot of health trials and it's no small miracle he's still around. "I'm not like you, Laura. I ran out of things to talk about at the strawberries."
Me laughing my head off. "Grandpa, you had me at the strawberries."
"You should have Glenn Beck interview you for your book."
I say, "Okay, Grandpa, you set it up and I'll be there."
"You know, he's a mormon."
"Yeah, but he's also really rich and famous."
"Well, I thought maybe it would help you out."
I tell him that Glenn Beck received a copy of my book a few weeks ago, but the most I can hope for is a cover quote. Silence. I don't think my grandpa knew what the heck I was talking about.
So the conversation moves on to weather. Safe subject and less confusing.
"I'm not kidding you, it's not summer. I looked at the seven day forecast and five of the days said rain."
"Really?"
"And the other two days said thunderstorms."
I haven't seen my grandpa in about two years. The last time I was there, I soaked in the vision of the misty Pennsylvania hills, the smell of home that I have always associated with grandma's house and my grandpa's sense of humor that I get, or maybe that I got mine from.
I leave a note on the fridge saying, "Went for a walk. Be back around 10:00." When I get back the white board has a new message. "Went for a nap at 9:00, 1:00 and 3:00."
This is my only grandpa I have still on earth. I'm so lucky to still have him, but someday the two of us are going to be laughing on the other side. At least I don't have to wait til then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your grandfather sounds like a delight. (And the picture is priceless!) This is exactly how I feel about my grandmother. She's been so much of my world for so long, how is there to be a world without her?