Monday, June 28, 2010

I'm Listening

Like a prodigal son returning, I finally made it back to my writers group.

And I learned some things. It's so great having a variety of perspectives. I always see things in a new way when I listen to critiques.

Voice. It's usually one of the hardest things to write well, and the most important. According to my writers group, this new piece I'm working on has the strongest voice they've ever seen me write. And it is why I will go on and finish it.

The genre is such a switch for me that I still doubt my skills in pulling it off. Can I do it? Now I have to find out. If the voice is right, I can make the story work. It's just going to take some genius to pull it off.

And, on assignment, I came up with a high concept description for my latest work. Spiderman meets Phantom of the Opera. Only contemporary YA style. Now you're wondering if it's even possible. I know. But so far, it is.

I'm listening. In spite of my fleeting thoughts of jumping off this story and into a new one, I'm going to stick this out.

And in the meantime, can I just say that summer reading rocks!!! Yesterday I read Wintergirls, today Book Thief. I know, I'm behind the times a little. Just finished Fallen. And the last Fablehaven book. And I seriously can't wait for Mockingjay.

So, if you're looking for me, I'm either with my computer writing, or curled up somewhere with a book. When I'm not chasing after my kids. Or doing all those other house-hold necessities.

On with summer.

1 comment:

Cholisose said...

Summer is a great time to read lots of books. I'm really excited about Mockingjay as well! I'll probably breeze through that one.