Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ironic Anniversary

Seventeen years ago today I married my husband. For the record, he's just as good-looking now as he was then, he just doesn't look fourteen anymore. I still laugh at our wedding picture. I look 12. I promise, we were both in our twenties though.

Seventeen years ago we married on the day before Father's day just like today. The weather was windy, but not too bad. My hair was self-made because my stylist got the flu. Uhm, I sort of had poodle hair as a result of my efforts. Oh well. With all the wind I don't think it made much difference.

We headed out on Father's day for our honeymoon. That's when a horrible sore throat settled in. I smiled through the six hour drive and hoped it would go away. Well, it kind of did. It moved out of my throat and into my lungs.

So there we are in the middle of nowhere in a cabin without heat, and it snows. In June. And if that's not enough, I've got bronchitis so bad that I can't even talk at all.

Yeap. That was our historic honeymoon.

And here we are, seventeen years later. You'll never guess what my husband picked up while we were on vacation..... bronchitis. He hasn't had a real voice for a week. He can't talk sometimes or he'll end up in a coughing fit. It's sort of like we've switched roles to celebrate our anniversary.

I should have known that would come back to haunt us.

Anyway, thank goodness for antibiotics.

And, in spite of snow in June and bronchitis, I would do it all over again because being married to my man is worth it all. For those of you who know him, you understand how amazing he is. And for all of you who don't, you'll just have to take my word for it.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

He is incredible and so are you. Happy Happy Anniversary. I can't really believe it has been 17 years. Wow!!! You were a beautiful (albeit underage looking) couple. :) What a wonderful thing to celebrate.

I remember you dressed in peach(?) playing the piano before heading out to the temple. :) What a peaceful memory.

Laura said...

I can't believe you can remember that dress. And the piano. Thanks for sharing that moment again with me.

Kerren said...

It truly was a beautiful day on so many levels! and we were hoping to see you to tell you in person "Happy Anniversary." Life is unpredictable. Ended up having cataract surgery (good prognosis) and a broken wrist (hopefully good, with time.)I do hope your vacation was good despite Parley's bronchitis. He is most definitely among the top dads I've ever known!