Monday, September 6, 2010

Following Dreams


Jackie Evancho

I just watched another u-tube video of Jackie Evancho. Such an amazing gift. And at the end, she was asked if she ever gets nervous.

She said "...I do get nervous. I don't want to mess up and this is a big shot and it helps me follow my dreams and I really just hope that it happens."

For her, the world is sure that it will happen. There's no question. My thirteen year old son feels sorry for the other talent contestants because "What chance do they have over a ten year old opera singer?"

But this post isn't just about a little girl with a bright future. It's about all of us. The ones who haven't blown the minds of the entire world with our talent.

I was really struck by her comment. "...this is a big shot and it helps me follow my dreams and I really just hope that it happens."

Is there anyone out there on the planet who is seriously pursuing their dreams who hasn't felt that way? I feel it everyday. With the book my agent is submitting and the one I'm writing right now.

Because it's a big shot and it helps me follow my dreams and I just really hope that it happens.

I will succeed because I absolutely refuse to give up. That's it.

Thanks Jackie, for being such an inspiration to the world. You make it a beautiful place.

1 comment:

a muse-er said...

Hate to be a downer, BUT dear Jackie's dreams are gonna end up right where Charlotte Church's ended, another wunderkind who, after serving her purpose, started to feel the consequences of being pushed to perform such technically demanding pieces far, far too early. There is a reason most operatic singers are older. If you start singing that way that young, you will end up destroying your vocal chords. I'm sorry to say, Jackie, but the best thing you can do is to run, run, run. Keep taking voice lessons, pursue your career in college and you'll be set. But this path is just going to end in heartbreak and betrayal for her.
But your message still stands. :)