Friday, October 29, 2010

On your mark, get set....

It's almost here.

You're probably thinking Halloween. And yeah, we're pretty excited for that holiday at our house. Is there another holiday where sugar is more glorified and easily accessible?

November is almost here. And besides the fact that I'm taking all five of our kids to the dentist on Monday, it marks the beginning of a national writing frenzy.

I'm talking about NaNoWriMoAs a writer, I love this month. So very much. November is my chance to re-focus on writing. Maybe it's because I feel like I have a good excuse to tuck in thousands of words a week. Or maybe it's knowing how many other people are out there writing like crazy too.

But I should tell you right now, I've never once done a real NaNoWroMo. The real NNWM involves beginning a brand new story and writing as much as you can on that novel during November. There are contests to see who can write the most words- stuff like that.

So far, every year when November rolls around, I'm already in middle of a story and I want to keep working on it. This year, I have an even better reason to keep writing on the same novel. My agent is anxious for me to get my latest WIP (work in progress) done.

I wish I were already done. I've already taken more time writing this story than any other book that I've worked on. I started it 8 months ago. Wow. It's really been that long.

*Me, shaking my head*

My goal is to get this thing done in November.

I've learned that each story takes a different road. My WIP is a contemporary YA with the tiniest touch of science fiction. The story is heavier than anything I've ever tried to write. It takes a whole new level of emotional clarity and awareness to make it honest and real.

Meanwhile, I have to balance the literary with action. I guess that's why it has taken me so long to write this thing.

I believe in writing goals, and while the rest of you NaNoWriMo people are typing wildly away, I'll be working steadily to meet my own goal next month.

Happy writing to all of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with Nano! I'm very excited for your new project and wish you the best of the best of the best! *hugs*