Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Randomness



Randomness.... is that a word? It should be.

I've been thinking about some things. I've been making friends that I've never met, and learning to admire people I've never seen. It's great. Kinda weird, too.

Man, I get goose bumps when I read about how well James Dashner has been doing with Random House. I love that guy- in a good- absolutely appropriate way. I bought all his books from the Door in the Woods series forever ago and read them all. My oldest son did his first school book project on the first book in that series. It feels like James Dashner has been part of our house. Then he writes 13th Reality. Very cool. And the sequel. And then gets a book deal with Random House. Somewhere in the middle of all that, he takes the time to read my entire unedited manuscript for Alvor .. AND.. e-mails me a quote to put on the back of the book. But that's not even the whole story. James is nice. I don't know if that's a strong enough word. But when I read about all his successes, I feel like those impossible dreams I have might someday, just maybe, come true.

And then, I just have to tell you about Annette Lyon. I love her too. Again, in the most totally appropriate way possible. She's got some things figured out, and I'm learning from her. I admire her persistance, her ability to research and her resiliance, endurance and brilliance. Yeah. I wish I could be more like that. I'm never going to be blonde, though.

My goal is to finally meet these people in person. James Dashner is the easiest. He's teaching a class at the BYU workshop in June. I'm so excited. He probably has no clue who I am.

As for Annette, that one will be a little harder. Maybe if I'm in Utah this summer when she's doing a booksigning. Yeah. The reason I want to be in Utah this summer is so that I can do some booksignings. Me, the greeny, the one who's never even been to a real booksigning... unless you count Glenn Beck, but he's a mega star. I don't think people will be lining up for hours at the door when I go. It will probably be more like, "Who are you?" "What book?" "Never heard of it."

Yeah, but that's all gonna change. In about a million years. You never know what's going to happen. That's the point. It's all about shooting for the stars until you finally manage to hit one.

1 comment:

Nate and Robin said...

If you even need a place to crash while you are in the area, we would love to have you. Please let us know when you are in town so we can see come see you. I really am looking forward to reading your book. I bet you'll have people there to sign copies, and I mean someone besides us. :)
Good Luck.