Sunday, March 15, 2009

St. Patrick's Day this week...not for the weak


I love St. Patrick's Day. When I was growing up, I thought it meant green jello at dinner. Then Riverdance hit the stage and my life changed forever. I started Irish step dancing 12 years ago. And I wasn't a kid anymore. I was married and my first child was five months old.
So why did I start? I saw Riverdance on TV. While I was watching it, something electric coursed through my veins. I knew I wasn't supposed to be sitting around watching this, I was supposed to be doing it. It took me eight more months to find the only Irish dance school in Boise, maybe even Idaho. They were brand new. My first teachers led me along until I finally could take from David Chase, the only certified TCRG in Idaho at the time.
A lot has changed since then. Now there are more schools and practically everyone in Boise has at least heard of Irish dance. But some things have stayed the same. The music breathes life into me. Dancing it gives me a rush I can't find any other way. I love performing for all kinds of people. I love sharing the joy that Irish dancing gives me.
And, my son, who's twelve now and almost as tall as me, is an awesome Irish dancer too. I get to go out into the world by his side and be his equal for just a few hours a week. That's when I'm not the mom telling him to clean his room, eat his vegetables and go to bed on time, it's when I get to talk about life, share a root beer and laugh at dumb things.
Maybe it's what Irish dancing has become between the two of us that has made St. Patrick's Day full of magic for me. I get to share it.
And my eight year old is on his way to clicking his heels just as high as his brother. Yeah, I get to take both of them around the town all day on Tuesday. It's a day of corned beef and cabbage. Red potatoes and the world's best soda bread with golden raisins. It's the day we sit in the truck drinking water and eating power bars as we drive to another show. It's the day I see kids of all ages- adults included- soaking in the wonders of all things Irish.
And if the leprechauns don't hide chocolate gold coins at your house the night before St. Patrick's Day, I suggest you lure some into your home. Even my little ones get to share in the fun. And did I mention the Irish blessings?
As you slide down the banisters of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction.
Wishing all of you a splendid St. Patty's Day.

3 comments:

mitzi said...

We love and miss you! Have a fun time dancing! We are having our St. Patrick's Day dinner for FHE tomorrow night. With mutual and activity days on Tuesday--it is just too busy to have fun with dinner that night. I am, however, going to Taylor's class on Tuesday to do a presentation--I'm going to show a IDI performance on DVD, teach them how to draw a trinity knot with a compass and feed them Irish Soda Bread. It'll be a good St. Patty's Day!

Synergy Girl said...

I MISS Irish dancing...My all time favorite St. Patties Day was when we school hopped all day, and then at night we were performing all around downtown, in bars, and everywhere...it really was a blast, and we didn't drink one OUNCE of GrEeN BeEr!!! We didn't need to!!!

Melissa said...

Laura! I found you! Love your blog and this post is beautifully written. I wish I could have seen you and your boys yesterday.