Thursday, March 5, 2009

Utah- home to tons of authors, just not me...

Yesterday I looked all over the house for the old atlas. We've had it for fifteen years, but I don't think I've seen it for at least seven. It had huge pages with a separate map of each state in the US. So cool. And I still can't find it.
I love living in Boise. I don't think I ever want to move. But for the first time in my life, I'm actually jealous of people who live in Utah. They're in the center of a lot of opportunity. The hubub of writers workshops and conferences, panels, booksignings- it blows my mind. Here, in Boise, there's one writers conference a year that I know of. One.
On some rare occasions there are school visits from an author, but the booksignings don't happen very often around here. Boise is a long drive from almost everywhere.
But never fear, the internet is here. Thanks to a lot of cut and paste, I now have a three and a half foot map of Utah hanging on the wall in my office. Yeap. Now I actually know where Draper is, and Spanish Fork, and Tooele. How do you say Tooele anyway?
I'm planning on attending the BYU Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers Workshop June 8-12 and I thought I would do some book signings in the area while I'm there. The thing is, I've only been to Provo twice- ever.
But all that will change now.
I plan on getting to Logan, Ogden, SLC, Provo and even traveling south to St. George and then clear down to sunny AZ. Not all at once. I'm thinking more like three separate trips.
I'm excited to visit eastern Idaho where some of my favorite people in the world live too.
In the mean time, signing off and still writing.

No comments: