Thursday, July 9, 2009

Making a List

The only list you'll find at my house is a grocery list, and without it, I'm a pathetic shopper. Other than shopping, I don't do lists...very often.
But I've got a new list. Several, in fact. Here's what I'm working on:

School Visit Presentation Ideas-needs to be inspirational, educational, interactive and funny. No pressure...

Marketing Ideas- (besides having my two year old stand on the corner with my book saying mom mom)

Stuff I need to finish writing, writing I need to finish editing, and totally new book I'm planning on writing this year.

Agents and Editors- sending new work to everyone I can. Some one's going to love me one of these days.

I've found that people don't like to give away their ideas. It's been hard finding school presentation ideas. So far, most have come out of my head. And for marketing, I'm looking for things that don't cost too much money. I'm an author without an inheritance, therefore I am not rich.

My favorite list is my writing list. It's delicious, like looking at a selection of delectable cookies and deciding which one to eat. Problem is, I can only eat one at a time. I can only write one thing at a time. I'm not so good at cross-writing.

And for the agent/editor list. I look at it like this. I've had a lot of practice getting rejected, so how bad can it be? The trick is to never run out of things to send. As long as I've got something new, I'll never run out of opportunities.

And, for the record, here are some things I DON'T write lists for...

Housework I need to get done
Meals I'm going to cook this week
Number of times I'm planning on stubbing my toe

They all have something in common. They're all things I don't like, but do anyway.

Next week I'm going to Utah again. This time my publisher invited me. Makes me feel so special. Friday, July 17, I'm going to be signing at the American Fork Library. Still don't know what time, but I'm sure they'll figure it out soon.

That same day, July 17, I'm going to be at the Gateway mall in SLC at Barnes and Noble from 7-9 PM. So cool.

Then Saturday, July 18, I'll be at the Confetti Bookstore in Spanish Fork from 10-12 in the morning. They're having a Fiesta Celebration.

July 24, the following Friday, I'm back in Boise and doing a signing at Hastings on Fairview and Cole from 6-9 PM. Super nice people there. I love it when the managers are nice.

And, for all you list lovers out there, good for you. You represent the most organized people on the planet, a title I don't envy.

And finally, if anyone has a good idea for marketing or school visits, please pop it on a comment. Seriously, I need all the help I can get. I promise to write it on my list, and for me, that's saying something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both James Dashner and Jeff Savage are awesome at school visits. James has always been great about sharing so you should totally ask him. When I talked to Jeff at Storymakers, he was very approachable and kind. Either one would be a great resource, in my opinion. (Alas, no experience myself so I don't have my own knowledge to offer.)

That's wonderful that you're coming to Utah! I can have you sign my copy of Alvor! Hooray!

I have to have lists too. Especially shopping lists. I'll never make it out of there with a dime if I don't. =]

Synergy Girl said...

So, when you stub your toes....do you dis-locate them like I do..?? UGH, I HATE it when that happens!