Friday, April 30, 2010

Random Act of Kindness

Yesterday someone very sweet told me that the reason I had to publish Alvor was so that I would know that I really could write a good book. She was trying to cheer me up, and I appreciated it, but I have to admit I question it all the time.

Do I have what it takes? Is there a writer alive who hasn't asked that same question?

I hit the dusty trail again and I'm still waiting to figure out what is going to happen next in my writing future.

And then, as if I needed proof that I really do have what it takes, I get this e-mail this morning from a stranger....

Dear Mrs. Bingham,
I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your
book Alvor. I was in my local bookstore, and I noticed your book, and when I started reading it, I just couldn't put it down. Alvor is among the books that inspired me to finally
put my ideas down on paper. I've at last completed the plot,
and Im writing chapters 1 and 2 of my book. Thank you so much for writing Alvor, and thanks for taking the time to read this!
sincerely,
Dimitri

The list of books that I just can't put down is pretty limited, but those books are the reason I know I have to keep going. The world they transport me to is so riveting that I can't help the draw. I have to write. Even when it looks like I'll never get there, I know I can't give up. I can't.

"I don't know when,
I don't know how,
but I know something's starting right now.
Watch and you'll see,
someday I'll be,
part of your world."

Part of your world- The Little Mermaid

Someday I'll be part of that world. I have to.

1 comment:

tannawings said...

This is probably on of my favorite posts although it is quite recent. The reason being is it is often the smallest of things that mean so much and keep you going.
It also shows someone took time out of their day to find and email you- granted it isn't a notecard, but so may don't do anything!
It made you think you will be part of their world-and you will!