Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Yeah Write


I've spent a lot of time the last two and a half weeks on mostly two things....

Being sick and writing.

Now that the being sick part is finally trickling away from our home, I have the most delicious part left for the whole rest of the month.

Writing.

I am loving it. Honestly, I haven't spent as much time on the internet because I'd rather be working on my novel than anything else.

I thought the beginning of a new story is where authors were madly and deeply in love with their work, but I'm finding that the more I dive into this, the less I want to climb out. Like water clinging to my swimsuit, this story follows me around. My character still surprises me, making choices I never saw coming.

And I thought I knew her better than anyone.

Alas, I am taking a few minutes to share with you my strange passion. If you see me driving down the street or at the grocery store and I don't even notice you, it's probably because my head is still in my book. And, uhm, sorry if that actually happened to you.

As for a useful writing tip.... I decided last night that a favorite CD playing quietly outranks Veggie Tales as background noise. I love quiet the most, but was surprised at how the music made my words come to life in my head almost like a movie.

Another tip... when writing an especially emotional scene, be sure that no one is going to walk in while the tears are still streaming down your cheeks. It takes way too much time to explain and honestly, it only confuses people. And check your makeup BEFORE you leave the house.

If I go MIA for a few days, you'll know why. I'm living inside a story right now with some reality on the side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm delighted to read this post. Not because you've been sick because I'm NOT delighted about that but I am super thrilled to know that you're delving into a new world and loving every minute. I need to write a "tears streaming" kind of scene. *sigh* But I'll get there!