Saturday, April 16, 2011

N is for Networking

I know I'm just barely making today's post. This alphabet thing is tough. I've never tried to post everyday for a month.

Anyway, today I practiced what I preach.

Networking.

I went to the Boise SCBWI conference and talked to people. It wasn't monumental or life-changing for me, but it was information and nice. A good chance to think about things again from another point of view.

Take time to talk to people. All kinds of people. You never know who your next friend will be or where that will take you.

Take a chance. Talk. Relax. That's what networking is all about.

The writing sandbox really is small. We have to get along. You will see the same people over and over again. If you have a friendly face to look forward to, the whole experience is sweeter.

Don't intentionally offend someone. Trust me, it isn't worth it. No one wins. And worse, you will have to see those people again and again if you plan to stay in the writing world.

Play nice. Have fun. It really is worth it in the end.

2 comments:

Abhishek said...

Yeah!!

Never intentionally hurt others!!

with warm regards
CatchyTips for Writers

Kerren said...

I'm loving all of this A to Z business! Way to go! It is fresh, refreshing, as well as inspiring! Thanks Laura!