Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's Working

Now that April Fool's day is over, I'm not related to President Obama, the twins are officially registered for Kindergarten, and the house is clean, I'm back on track. Whew.

I'm on 29,753 words in my sequel to Alvor. I was really hoping for 30,000 by now, but it's been busy.

This story has taken me places I didn't know I was going. Before I wrote the sequel, I outlined the whole book chapter by chapter. And I was excited about the story then.

Now, all kinds of cool things have come up that I didn't see coming. And I like it even better. It's twisted and different than the original plan, but in a good way. It's just working.

I don't know why my stories always seem to write themselves. I think I know what's going on, then they take me somewhere new. I even ask myself along the way, "Are you sure?" and the answer is usually, "yes".

I don't know if it makes me schizophrenic or if all authors have this unknown variable they work with as they write.

Sometimes I like to think of these moments as pure inspiration. It's better than being crazy. And, hey, some of the best stuff I write was things I didn't plan to happen. It's like the characters know what they need to do better than I do.

I know. It's weird. Unless you write, you probably wouldn't understand.

Wow! Good news! I'm totally excited. I should be getting the edited proof by Monday and April 15 is still the scheduled press date, so..... drum roll please.....My book should be available the first or second week of May. At least in Utah, and definitely in time for me to do book signings June 8-12. Yah! Happy happy happy. I'll let you know when I get the really exciting stuff- the artwork for the cover. Ahh. Now on with the day.

1 comment:

Nate and Robin said...

Hey! That is exciting. May is right around the corner. I’m getting more and more excited to read your book. Thanks for keeping us updated.